In addition to creating artwork, the 20 students participating in ArtWorks’ inaugural year, which kicked off earlier this summer, visited local businesses, heard from guest speakers and were taught financial literacy courtesy of a UBS-hosted workshop. “We want the ArtWorks participants to not only understand what it takes to work as a professional artist, but also gain the skills necessary to be successful in any endeavor. College and career readiness are also important program components,” explains A4L executive director Sheila Womble. To that end, students are charged with organizing and promoting the open house that closes out their learning experience, and each participant will leave the program with both a resume and a portfolio.
By imparting aspiring artists with the practical skills needed to make it in the art world, A4L hopes its students will contribute to Miami’s vibrant artistic community in the years to come—and hey, if they can avoid the “starving” part of the “starving artists” label, that’s good for everyone! “The arts are woven into the fabric of this great city,” says Marsha Askins, chief communications officer for UBS Group Americas. “As part of UBS’s steadfast commitment to improving every community where we have a presence, we are proud to support ArtWorks and help provide young people in Miami with a unique learning experience.”
ArtWorks hopes to double its enrollment next summer, providing their unique blend of artistic and career inspiration to 40 high school students. More on the program and its teachers can be found at a4lmiami.wordpress.com; for more on A4L’s additional programs, visit www.a4lmiami.org.
- Why I Hate George Jetson | The Guerrilla Framer - September 11, 2015
- 5 Tips for Marketing Through Daily-Deal Websites - August 1, 2015
- Finishing with Style - July 15, 2015
- Pease Pedestals: Displaying Success - July 15, 2015
- Mind Your Margins – More Profit for Happier Customers - June 18, 2015
- The Pursuit of Happiness: Roma Moulding Celebrates 30 Years - April 2, 2014
- URBAN ASHES—Using Salvaged Wood to Make Artful Frames, by Michael Pacitti - September 6, 2013
- Polly Norman’s Prehistoric Ride Through a Lavender Sky - March 13, 2013
- Work of the Week: Johnny Taylor’s The Age of Flight #3 - March 1, 2013
- Do You Want To Count Every Stroke? Or Play Men’s Rules? - February 27, 2013