What happens at Art Basel doesn’t always stay at Art Basel. In 2009, in tandem with Art Basel Miami Beach, Goldman Projects’ founder Tony Goldman and Jeffrey Deitch, current director of Los Angeles’ Museum of Contemporary Art, debuted Wynwood Walls, an outdoor art park that featured a dozen murals created by some of the world’s most respected artists.
More than two years later, the project continues to evolve under the direction of Goldman, the renowned entrepreneur, urbanist and community developer who has helped to revitalize New York City’s SoHo, Upper West Side and Financial District neighborhoods as well as Miami’s South Beach and Wynwood District.
“The vision behind Wynwood Walls has always been to create an international outdoor street/mural exhibition showcasing the world’s greatest artists working in the genre,” says Goldman. “We strive for a diverse representation of both American and international artists that encompasses everything from the old-school graffiti artists to the newest work being created around the world. The project has truly evolved into what my friend Jeffrey Deitch calls ‘a Museum of the Streets.’
“In 2011, The Wynwood Doors evolved into an outdoor street art portrait gallery,” continues Goldman. “The exteriors of the doors were ‘bombed’ or ‘tagged’ by well-known, well-respected graffiti writers and when you roll up the ‘doors,’ it reveals a gallery of figurative characters by international street artists.”
Wynwood Walls, located at NW Second Avenue, between NW 25th and NW 26th Streets, is free and open to the public. Visit www.thewynwoodwalls.com for more information.
- Why I Hate George Jetson | The Guerrilla Framer - September 11, 2015
- 5 Tips for Marketing Through Daily-Deal Websites - August 1, 2015
- Finishing with Style - July 15, 2015
- Pease Pedestals: Displaying Success - July 15, 2015
- Mind Your Margins – More Profit for Happier Customers - June 18, 2015
- The Pursuit of Happiness: Roma Moulding Celebrates 30 Years - April 2, 2014
- URBAN ASHES—Using Salvaged Wood to Make Artful Frames, by Michael Pacitti - September 6, 2013
- Polly Norman’s Prehistoric Ride Through a Lavender Sky - March 13, 2013
- Work of the Week: Johnny Taylor’s The Age of Flight #3 - March 1, 2013
- Do You Want To Count Every Stroke? Or Play Men’s Rules? - February 27, 2013